Monday, May 18, 2009

Lovely Iris

I took the plunge and am doing a needlepoint project. A real one, not just a sampler.

Now, I am still a novice, but the subject matter of the ANG CyberPointer project "Diamond Iris" is, well, an Iris. Iris's are one of my favorite flowers, so I just had to try.

First, we had to trace the design onto the canvas. Judy, author of both the Freebies, etc! and the Possibilities, etc! blogs, was kind and generous enough to walk me through the tracing of the design, and offered a plethora of advice and unstinting help. Any mistakes are entirely my own, of course!

Here is the beginning:



And then with the floss and other threads:




And the first petal, with my first attempt at the Burden Stitch:



On the the other petals!

16 Meow Backs:

Carolyn NC said...

Looks good to me!

Rene la Frog said...

Great start...love the colors. Iris is one of my favorite flowers too.

5footrunt said...

That is just beauitful. I have never seen that before. This is something really different. Wow, the things you can do.

Lou's addictions said...

I cant wait to see this finished. I love the look of needlepoint work and would love to give it a try myself.

Nancy said...

Nice project! Will look cool with different stitches in it!

Gabi said...

That looks great Ruth. I never did a needle point project myself, but will look forward to see yours growing.

Shelley - ILCS said...

Lovely start to your new endeavor. Good luck!!

Juli said...

I love how your shading turned out! Gorgeous! You'd never know you are a novice.

Keep sharing and don't forget to ask for help if you run into any problems!!!

pinsneedles said...

Your shading is wonderful, as is your stitching! Good for you for taking the plunge. I had never done Burden stitch before either - isn't a great effect.
Jocelyn

Rebecca Royce said...

How did you decide which one you wanted to start with? I'm thinking about trying this myself...

Ruth M. said...

Hey Rebecca,

I chose this project because it is and ANG cybergroup project, especially for beginners.

Ruth

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting for me to read this article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

abc said...

good....................................................................................................

walkerkellner said...

Good mind, good find........................................

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Good job on the drawing!! Glad I could help. A well drawn canvas is much easier to stitch! Also, you might find the work neater if you would first outline with tent stitch, each area where decorative stitches will be placed - it no only looks better, it makes it easier. I also love Irises - my most favorite is the blue iris. I've never even heard of that stitch, but it looks interesting.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Good Grief!! That's no beginner project. LOL I just now read it again and saw that. This is what makes "newbies" give up and quit - and go back to their knitting.

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey